In Episode 5, we take a look at recent community news during our Trending Topics Segment- including a new virtual reality game designed to help reduce kids’ anxiety during infusions and a new needle that won’t cause bleeding after it’s removed, and we take a deeper dive into three stories during our Like, Share, Comment Segment. This month we also feature my Sit Down with the iconic HIV/AIDS and hemophilia advocate Jeanne White-Ginder. All that and more, on episode 5 of BloodStream!
Sponsors for Episode 5:
- The National Hemophilia Foundation launches a new series of educational webinars. Link
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Ohio is piloting a virtual reality game designed to help reduce anxiety and stress in pediatric infusions. Link
- Genetic Linkage Analysis may lead to a simple way to diagnose women carrying the gene causing hemophilia A. Link (Story) Link (Study)
- A self-sealing hemostatic needle that won’t cause bleeding when removed from a vein. Link
- Two tools for patient reported outcomes address the need for personalization of outcomes Link.
Like, Share, Comment Segment:
- HFA Gears For Good Riders raise $130,000 for Helping Hands. Link
- Barry Haarde completes his fifth trans-con bike ride, totaling 5,000 miles and raising over $52,000. Link
- Alex Dowsett, the professional cyclist with hemophilia, launches Little Bleeders charity to encourage fitness and athletics for children with bleeding disorders. Link
- Colorado’s Kyle Haas rides 500 miles through mountain passes. Link
- Sleep resources curated and posted to The BloodStream Blog.
- HIV now “undetectable” in British man. Link
- Why talk of HIV cure is premature (from BBC). Link
- Why it’s too soon to say HIV has been cured (from PopSci). Link
- amfAR - statistics on young people and HIV (Link) and the US and HIV (Link)
The Sit Down:
- USA Today’s Top 25 people (1982 - 2007). Link
- The AIDS Memorial Grove. Link
- The HIV Story Project. Link
- Surviving Voices, a collaboration between the HIV Story Project and The Grove. Link
BloodStream on Social:
Subscribe to BloodStream: